Spotlight: VTRC Supports Creation of VDOT 'Library User Group'
On February 15, 2022, the library held its inaugural meeting of a Library User's Group (LUG). Creating of the group was supported by Dr. Amy O'leary, who then supervised the library, and who helped Ken Winter and Gil Kenner develop this draft proposal, which was approved by VTRC Director Cathy McGhee. Also participating at the first meeting was Barb Neyman. The purpose of the LUG is gather input, advice, and ideas regarding the provision of library and information services to VDOT users, in order to enhance their productivity and professional development. It will also:
• Serve as a sounding board for reviewing new ideas and emerging trends in library and information needs at VDOT.
• Help Library staff align collections and services with the highest needs and priorities of VDOT personnel.
• Provide input on potential expansions of the library’s collections or services.
• Promote the use of library collections and services in their own work environments.
• Help coordinate library activities with relevant information management activities occurring elsewhere at VDOT.
• Serve as Alpha or “Usability” testers to help improve new or existing library resources and services.
• Help staff identify unmet information needs and groups within VDOT that may be underserved by the Library.
|Byron Marshall, PMP, PSP (Chair)||Security & Emergency Management|
|Ken Winter, MLIS (Executive Secretary)||Associate Library Director|
|Gil Kenner, MSLIS (Executive Secretary)||Library Head of Technical Services|
|Wade B. France||Learning Technology/Human Resources|
|Marian Kshetrepal||Lead Negotiator, Prof. Services Procurement|
|Andrew M. Zickler, PE||Complex Bridge and ABC Support Manager|
|Bernie Kassner, PhD, PE||Research Scientist, VTRC|
|Lance Dougald||Senior Research Scientist, VTRC|
|Steve Sharp, PhD, PE||Associate Principal Research Scientist, VTRC|
|Bethanie Glover||Richmond District Communication Manager|
|David L. Wilson||Central Office Environmental Division|
|Ramesh Neupane, PhD, PE, PMP||Central Office Materials Division|
The group met virtually, following this agenda for the 2-hour meeting. The next meeting is planned for September 2022.
Outreach to VDOT's Engineering Development & Growth Experience (EDGE) Program
Discussion at the LUG meeting led the library to Diveda Palmer, who coordinates VDOT's career and leadership development. Jeff Tipton, who coordinates VDOT's EDGE program subsequently requested a presentation in June.
The VDOT Engineering Development & Growth Experience (EDGE) Program is a two-year, VDOT-specific engineer development program intended to expose new civil engineering graduates to the full spectrum of engineering roles within VDOT. Successful graduates go on to become respected leaders and skilled practitioners at VDOT.
After onboarding 14 EDGE participants and conducing the presentation, many associates checked out P.E./E.I.T. exam study materials from the library or used library databases or services, indicating a successful outreach effort.
530 Edgemont Road,
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
Ph: 434-293-1902 | E-mail: Library@vdot.virginia.gov
© Copyright 2023, VDOT. All rights reserved.
Hours: Mon.-Fri.: 8:30-4:30 | Closed: State holidays
Directions & Maps to the Library
Web Policy | Privacy Statement | VDOT Dashboard