The library utilizes Springshare’s LibAnswers with Reference Analytics to track patron interactions/transactions. The software allows library staff to track customer service questions with precision. This quarter there were 406 transactions across all library departments, 362 of which were from VDOT personnel, of which 116 were from VTRC researchers. As the pandemic started, reference transactions trended downward due to unprecedented disruptions for VDOT. As we near the 2-year mark, we've seen a strong recovery in terms of reference transactions in a general sense. However, we've noticed an increase in inquiries from Virginia residents, members of other Virginia state agencies and other "external" researchers and an almost complete halt to interactions with UVA faculty and students. This was the 3rd consecutive quarter of "above average" requests for literature searches by VDOT employees. We delivered 5 searches this quarter.
The table to the right shows reference and research questions the library received by districts/divisions this quarter (362 total). There were 43 questions received this quarter from outside the agency, resulting in a total of 406.
We provide a literature search and synthesis for patrons to help them avoid reinventing the wheel or missing research that is potentially relevant to their topic but otherwise difficult to find and access. The service is quick but thorough and each search is delivered to meet the requestor's needs at a precise moment in time. Searches delivered this quarter:
1. Automated Speed Enforcement: A Search For Developments In Technology, Strategy, And Policy (Benjamin H. Cottrell, Jr. VTRC Associate Principal Research Scientist and Chien-Lun Lan, VTRC Research Scientist, 53 pages)
2. Optimal Workloads For Project Managers: A Literature Search Focused On State DOTs (Jacob Hoffman, Senior Analytics Specialist, VDOT Performance Transformation Division, 64 pages)
3. A Preliminary Exploration of State DOT Staffing For Resilience and Climate Change Adaptation (G. Michael Fitch, Ph.D., VTRC Deputy Director of Research, 10 pages)
4. A Search For Uses Of 'Green Infrastructure' To Protect Inland Transportation Assets (Bridget M. Donaldson, VTRC Senior Research Scientist, 45 pages)
5. Innovative Uses of 3D Printed Concrete By State DOTs: A Fast-Tracked Literature Search (Natalia Cornwell, Project Manager, Office of Strategic Innovation, 131 pages)
530 Edgemont Road,
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
Ph: 434-293-1902 | E-mail: Library@vdot.virginia.gov
© Copyright 2023, VDOT. All rights reserved.
Hours: Mon.-Fri.: 8:30-4:30 | Closed: State holidays
Directions & Maps to the Library
Web Policy | Privacy Statement | VDOT Dashboard