Research and Reference Services
The library uses software called LibAnswers to track patron interactions. The software provides data on who is asking questions, where they are located, when a question is asked, who responds and the answer. This quarter there were 452 inquiries/transactions across all library departments. Of all transactions, 174 were "reference" transactions and 147 of those came from VDOT personnel, while 27 were from Virginia residents, other libraries, or unaffiliated customers. The increase in telework and disruptions from COVID-19 have affected reference transactions, which were down from a 5-year average of 284/quarter to 192 last quarter and 174 this quarter. It is not clear if the trend will continue next quarter.
The table to the right reflects the number of reference and research questions the library received by district/division this quarter (147 total). Including transactions from patrons not affiliated with VDOT (27 total) we saw a total of 174 transactions.
The library completed six literature searches this quarter:
1. Research Related to the 'Successful' Welding of MMFX, MMFX2, or ChromX Reinforcing Steel (Stephen R. Sharp, Ph.D., P.E., VTRC Senior Research Scientist, 7 pages)
2. Best Practices for Combatting Human Trafficking in the Transportation Sector: A Fast-Tracked Literature Search (Marshall Herman, Special Assistant to the Office of the Secretary of Transportation, 49 pages)
3. Use of High-Density Polyethelyne (HDPE) Liners In Industrial Storage Ponds: A Literature Search (Lewis N. Lloyd, VTRC Research Scientist, 20 pages)
4. Effects of Interruptions In Funding of State DOT Preliminary Engineering (PE) Budgets (Audrey Moruza, VTRC Senior Research Scientist, 29 pages)
5. Feasibility of Using Van Atta Devices To Monitor Bridge Health: A Search for Expertise (Edward Hoppe, Ph.D., P.E., VTRC Associate Principal Research Scientist, 13 pages)
6. Effectiveness and Environmental Impact of Chemical Soil Stabilizers for Gravel Roads (G. Michael Fitch, Ph.D., VTRC Deputy Director of Research, 41 pages)
530 Edgemont Road,
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
Ph: 434-293-1902 | E-mail: Library@vdot.virginia.gov
© Copyright 2023, VDOT. All rights reserved.
Hours: Mon.-Fri.: 8:30-4:30 | Closed: State holidays
Directions & Maps to the Library
Web Policy | Privacy Statement | VDOT Dashboard