|COVID-19 ALERT: The library is closed, but staff are available ONLINE during business hours and full-text databases are accessible 24/7 to VDOT employees with or without VPN.|
A quick search of common "fields" can be performed from the search box at the top of the main screen:
1. The quick search option features the following fields: Keywords, Author name, Journal/book title, Volume, Issue, Page.
2. Optionally, users can select "Advanced Search" to conduct more complex searches.
An even simpler search box appears on all search results screens (where you can also search). It looks like this:
1. Type in desired terms and click the search button.
2. Or select "Advanced Search" to show more search fields (discussed in the next section).
The example below shows what happens when you do a simple search on the term "geosynthetics" from either quick search screen:
1. First, the system lists suggested publications on the general topic.
2. On the lower left, search filters appear, allowing you to refine (narrow) the search based on year, article type or other variables.
3. The main part of the screen displays brief search "results" with key search terms highlighted in yellow.
When you click on the title the full citation, including an abstract, is displayed. We recommend the following steps:
1. First, carefully review the citation to be sure the item matches your specific needs.
2. If you decide to continue select "Get Access" to initiate the download process.
If you are not signed in you will be prompted to do so at this time. If you are signed in (you should see your name next to the VDOT logo), you can download the full text by clicking the "Continue" button, as shown below:
NOTE: As the screen states, VDOT funds allow employees to access ScienceDirect articles. Fees are absorbed by the VDOT Research Library, however, library staff monitor all downloads.